Re: [Update REQ 5483]: bug on Geomview 1.5 on alpha and rs6000

  • To: software@geom
  • Subject: Re: [Update REQ 5483]: bug on Geomview 1.5 on alpha and rs6000
  • From: "Tim Rowley" <trowley>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 95 10:17:13 CDT

> The package is really
> great and we owe you big thanks for it gave us more physical intuition
> and helped us a great deal debugging our codes.

Glad you like it.

> The bug is that although the Camera shows our configurations having the nodes
> corectly colored, the PS Snapshot module colors the triangles instead
> producing a picture that is hard to read.

Right, PS-Snapshot can't deal with smooth shaded polygons, which
is what you're trying to use.  Doing smooth shading in postscript
is a pain -- there's two ways of doing it: creating huge PS files
or creating really slow PS files.  A developmental version of
Geomview has the capability of saving PostScript (actually EPS)
files.  An example snapshot of your object is at:

http://www.geom.umn.edu/~trowley/big.ps.gz

Unfortunately we don't have Alphas here at the center, so I can't
provide you with a Alpha binary of this version of Geomview.
However, if you have access to a Sun or SGI, I can give you a
binary for that.  If you're feeling really brave, you could
attempt to compile a developmental source tree (you should have
experience with C and building large programs).  Let me know what
would be best.

--
Tim Rowley  --  trowley at geom.umn.edu  --  "Do or do not, there is no try."