Re: [Closed REQ 5547]:

  • To: software@geom
  • Subject: Re: [Closed REQ 5547]:
  • From: "Stuart Levy" <slevy>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 09:27:52 -0500

The software is freely available -- the only thing we'd ask is that you
tell us what you do with it.

The software now being used in the Science Museum of Minnesota runs on
a Silicon Graphics Iris (in their case, an R4000 Indigo XZ).  You can
get it by anonymous FTP from geom.umn.edu as pub/software/tritile.tar.Z.
It requires visitors to have access to (only) a 1-button mouse; the
keyboard is not used.

There's a similar program, written by Jeff Weeks, which runs on the
Macintosh.  It's not specifically designed for museum use, e.g. nothing
will restart the program if it should crash.  You can also fetch that by
anonymous FTP from geom.umn.edu, as various files under
pub/software/KaleidoTile.  You're also free to use that.

Some high school classroom curriculum materials related to KaleidoTile
were prepared this summer; we haven't yet arranged a method for distributing
them (probably via a publisher), but if you'd be interested we can
let you know when they're available.