Re: [Closed REQ 5554]: geomview

  • To: software@geom
  • Subject: Re: [Closed REQ 5554]: geomview
  • From: "Daeron Meyer" <daeron>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 95 15:07:54 CDT

> Date: Fri, 08 Sep 95 16:09:56 EST
> From: ahines at ccmail.howmet.com
> To: software@geom
> Subject: geomview
>
> I am attempting to run geomview on an HP-735 running HPUX 9.03. I was successful
> at downloading, uncompressing and untarring the software, but upon issuing the
> executable, it informs me that the /usr/lib/X11R5/libXext.sl library is missing.
> What are my options? If I get a copy of this file, what other libraries down the
> road will also be absent? (i.e. am I out of luck?)
>
> Optimistically,
>
> Albert M. Hines
> ahines at howmet.com
>

> ps.I am working at the research center of Howmet Corporation, Whitehall, MI.
>    I do finite element analysis of the solidification in investment castings
>    of aerospace components. We are always manipulating 3-D data and I was
>    curious as to what use this product might serve.

Your workstation should have this file somewhere, it just may not be
where Geomview is looking for it. The easiest thing for you to do
might be to find where the file is on your system and then make a
symlink from /usr/lib/X11R5/libXext.sl to the files real location. Or,
if you have the development environment for the HP (compiler +
libraries) you might try compiling Geomview yourself. If this doesn't
work, write back and we'll tell you where to ftp a statically linked
version of the gvx binary from. A statically linked version shouldn't
require any shared libraries, but the downside is that it will take up
a lot more memory.

hope this helps,
Daeron