[ REQ 6662]: [paul at eg426.berkeley.edu: Can I get Geomview for Linux-Alpha platform?]

  • To: software@geom.umn.edu
  • Subject: [ REQ 6662]: [paul at eg426.berkeley.edu: Can I get Geomview for Linux-Alpha platform?]
  • From: Mark Phillips <mbp at geom.umn.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 17:21:48 -0500 (CDT)

Sender: paul at eg426.berkeley.edu
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 14:37:22 -0700
From: "Paul A. Milligan" <paul at eg426.berkeley.edu>
To: register at geom.umn.edu
Subject: Can I get Geomview for Linux-Alpha platform?

Hi Geometry Guys,

I've had great use of Geomview on my Linux-Intel
platform (I installed the pre-compiled binaries).
But now I want to run Geomview on my Liinux-Alpha
platform (a AlphaPC 164LX with a 600MHz 21164)

I would like to get Geomview running on the Linux-Alpha
because it would speed up the display several times
compared to a sloth Pentium running at 200MHz clock.

Can I simply install the DEC-Alpha binaries?
I think perhaps not because of special OSF or Digital
OS lib dependencies.

Or can I compile from source?
I tried this last night (into the wee morning hours)
but was unsuccessful. I tried setting the CPU type
as "linux", but I think this means an i386 not an Alpha.

What do you suggest as the best course of action to
get Geomview up and running on my Linux-Alpha box?

Yours hopefully,

Paul.

Paul A. Milligan
Engineering Geoscience