Re: [Update REQ 6662]: [paul at eg426.berkeley.edu: Can I get Geomview for Linux-Alpha platform?]

  • To: software@geom.umn.edu
  • Subject: Re: [Update REQ 6662]: [paul at eg426.berkeley.edu: Can I get Geomview for Linux-Alpha platform?]
  • From: Stuart Levy <slevy at geom.umn.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 09:15:51 -0500 (CDT)

Compiling from source would be the way to go -- indeed, I don't think our
OSF/1 Alpha binary release works under Linux.

Could you say something about the problems you'd had compiling it?
Or, better, check which version of the source release you picked up.
Look at the file "tools/patchlevel".  If it says "1.6.1p2", you've got the
two-year-old last official release, which indeed had trouble compiling
on modern versions of Linux.  There've been a number of fixes since then;
if you either re-fetch the source package from the Geometry Center main
ftp site, or (equivalently) fetch
  ftp://geom.umn.edu/priv/slevy/geomview-161p9-src.tar.gz
then I hope things should go much better.  We had a success report from
another Linux Alpha user recently, using this version.

Or, if your "tools/patchlevel" file indicates "1.6.1p9d", you already
have the latest package.  If so, could you say something about the
problems you encountered?

  Stuart Levy