Re: geomview external control

  • To: "Lynne Edwards [mf13901]" <ledwards at s1.msi.umn.edu>
  • Subject: Re: geomview external control
  • From: slevy
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 92 12:25:38 -0500

> From ledwards at s1.msi.umn.edu Mon Oct  5 09:59:37 1992
> Date: Mon, 5 Oct 92 09:57:31 CDT
> From: "Lynne Edwards [mf13901]" <ledwards at s1.msi.umn.edu>
> To: slevy at geom
> Subject: geomview external control
>
> To: Stuart Levy
> I need to know more about what external control (format, etc.)
> is allowed in geomview. I have an S-plus (S based language) script
> interfaced with Fortran. I read Overview in the geomview doc but
> it is too short. Do you have a sourcecode listing for some of the
> .quad files in the geomview example? I want to know how to call up
> S to let some control passed onto it while I am viewing the object.
>
> Lynne Edwards, MSI

Could you explain a bit more what you're trying to do?  You could arrange
things either to have geomview in control (and somehow passing things to S or
to your fortran program), or to have your program be in control and sometimes
passing geometric data to geomview.  Probably the latter is simpler,
especially if your own program already has some kind of command-line or
graphical interface and you're just trying to use geomview as a passive viewer.

I'm not sure what you mean by a sourcecode listing for .quad files
in the geomview example.  See the file doc/oogltour, which gives examples
and tutorial explanations for lots of the OOGL file formats; the complete
reference is man/cat5/oogl.5.  Or look at the files in data/geom for
more examples.

For merely sending geometric data to geomview, the simplest way is to
start geomview with the -M option, e.g. from Fortran you might say
	call system('geomview -M fred &')
and then make your program write OOGL objects (enclosed in { braces })
to the file /tmp/geomview/fred (where "fred" could be replaced with any
arbitrary name).  Here /tmp/geomview/fred will actually be a "named pipe",
created by geomview when it starts up.