geomview in SUN SPARC.

Forwarded message:
> From mbp Tue May 24 11:36:39 1994
> Date: Tue, 24 May 94 11:36:32 -0500
> From: mbp
> To: linli at bigsun.iupucs.iupui.edu
> Cc: software@geom
> Subject: geomview in SUN SPARC.
>

> > I have several questions. First, when I issue the command "geomview",
> > it produces a lot of warning messages. Second the picture is not
> > smoothly lighted. Third, is there anyway I can make the picture into
> > printable files such as postcript files. Thanks a lot.
>
> Sorry for the long delay in responding to your message.
>
> The X version of Geomview is still very preliminary, and has several
> known bugs and unimplemented features, some of which have to do with
> shading.  Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to work around
> these problems for now.  We hope to fix some of these problems in the
> next release; we'll send a note to the geomview-users list (which
> you're on) when it's ready.
>
> Mark Phillips
> Geometry Center

Mark is correct, there are still quite a few problems with Geomview,
especially having to do with the rendering algorithm. You might be able
to fix some of the other problems now though. The warning messages you are
seeing are probably Keysym binding warnings from Motif (Geomview's X user
interface). You might be able to eliminate these messages by downloading
the file /priv/daeron/src/XKeysymDB from our ftp server (ftp.geom.umn.edu)
and installing it in /usr/lib/X11/XKeysymDB on your Sun.

Also, if you download the latest source for Geomview, you will get an
additional external module, pssnap, which allows you to save postscript
snapshots of objects. It suffers from some of the same rendering
problems as Geomview though.

-Daeron