GEOMVIEW package

  • To: G.Cardew at sheffield.ac.uk
  • Subject: GEOMVIEW package
  • From: mbp
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 94 13:45:11 -0500

George,
    Sorry for the delay in answering these questions; I've been
on vacation.

>     I admit that I am at an early stage in my comprehension
> of what Geomview will do for us . We simply want to view 2D/3D FE MEshes
> produced by our code , together with zooming , rotations , aninmation
> , display contour fill for physical quatities ( eg. Stresses , Displacements)
>
>     It is vitally important to know the answers to the following :
>
>         Does Geomview require an INPUT file with all the attributes
> ( topologies etc.) of the mesh to have been written by us ??

Yes.

> Where do we find a definition of this file ?

In the Geomview manual, a copy of which you should find in the
Geomview/doc subdirectory of the Geomview distribution.  See the
chapter called "OOGL File Formats".  There are example files in
the Geomview/data/geom directory.

> Then can we perform those operations cited
> above ??

Yes, with the possible exception of "display contour fill for physical
quatities".  Geomview is a display program only --- it will not
compute contours for you.  If, however, you have some other program
that can compute the contours and represent them in one of the OOGL
file formats, Geomview can display that data on top of your original
data.

>    Alternatively can we call Geomview modules directly from our ( Fortran)
>  FE code ?  ( eg. display a polygon - fill it - hide it etc .etc. )

Something like this may be possible, depending on what you want to do.
Please read over the chapter called "External Modules" in the Geomview
manual and let me know if that looks appropriate for what you want to
do.  Other type of communication between Geomview and your programs
are possible, but aren't documented yet.  If you're interested in
them, let me know more precisely what you want to do and I'll try to
help.

--Mark