Re: [Solaris 2 - gcc2.6.0 - W3AppKit compile problem: murrayb at icis.qut.edu.au]

  • To: murrayb at icis.qut.edu.au (Murray Bent)
  • Subject: Re: [Solaris 2 - gcc2.6.0 - W3AppKit compile problem: murrayb at icis.qut.edu.au]
  • From: burchard
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 94 02:17:56 -0500

murrayb at icis.qut.edu.au (Murray Bent) writes:
> Undefined               first referenced
>  symbol                     in file
> _GLOBAL_.I.W3Document.m     libW3Kit.a(W3Document.o)
> _GLOBAL_.I.main             O.solaris/cyberview.o
> _GLOBAL_.I.Protocol.m       libobjc.a(Protocol.o)
[etc...]

These symbols are produced internally by GCC to create global
constructors which must be run before main().  They should never
appear as undefined symbols if GCC has been properly installed for
your software environment (including all languages).  If you are
having such problems, then C++ code with static objects should also
fail (is that the case?).

One question here would be which assembler and linker are being used
in these compiles?  (I understand that Sun offers multiple compiler
packages.)  It's possible that you've built GCC in a way that assumes
a smart assembler/linker, whereas the one you have is sufficiently
feeble to require collect2.  For more information on how GCC deals
with constructors and linkers, see the section ``How Initialization
Functions Are Handled'' in the GCC manual.

I've tested W3Kit on Solaris 2.3, with GCC 2.5.8 built for target
sparc-sun-solaris2.3.  In this installation, the parts of the compile
process delegated to Sun-supplied tools were as follows:

   as: "SC3.0 early access 01 Sep 1993"
   ld: "Software Generation Utilities (SGU) SunOS/ELF (LK-1.3)"