[ REQ 5209]: Re: can't get geomview to work on hp's

  • To: software@geom
  • Subject: [ REQ 5209]: Re: can't get geomview to work on hp's
  • From: "Tamara Munzner" <munzner>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 95 18:35:28 -0600

>   hi tamara,
Hi Seth & Carlo,

>   this is seth, writing for carlo sequin.  we just tried
>   to bring over oogl and geomview to his new HP snake and
>   had several problems:
>	   1) the link to the hp binary is incorrect
Ah, thanks for letting me know, we neglected to change the links after the
latest upgrade. It's fixed now.

>	   2) when we got the oogl files and saved them
>		   through mosaic, the x bits weren't set
Which OOGL files are these? You shouldn't need to manually download
any OOGL files at all for the demo. Following a link to an OOGL file
when the setup is properly installed just brings it up in Geomview, so
saving to disk should not be an issue.

>	   3) finally we got the perl scripts pointing to
>		   the right place, and geomview installed,
>		   but just running "geomview" dies with:
>	   /lib/dld.sl: Can't open shared library: /usr/lib/X11R5/libXext.sl
>   /lib/dld.sl: No such file or directory
>   IOT trap (core dumped)
>	   HP-UX unknown A.09.03 A 9000/712 2007738680 two-user license
Hmmmm. This happens when you just type "geomview" from the
command line? What binary file did you end up manually downloading?
The right one would have been either the symlink geomview-hp.tar.Z or
its target geomview-1.5.0-hp.tar.Z. I know very little about the
installation of the X versions, I'm forwarding this in hopes that the
X hackers might know what's going on.

>   so, in the end we weren't able to follow the link to the
>   OOGL version of the geometry center home page.
>   can you guys help with this?  you should reply to carlo,
>   as i'll only be around in berkeley today and part of
>   tomorrow.
>   thanks,
>   seth & carlo.
Sorry about the snags, perhaps we can track down the problems before
Seth leaves.
Tamara