Re: [Update REQ 5443]: question on geomview

On Mon, 12 Jun 1995, Stuart Levy wrote:

> Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 20:49:23 -0500
> From: slevy
> To: software@geom, software@geom
> Subject: Re:  [ REQ 5443]: question on geomview
> Cc: (software-admin at geom.umn.edu) (software-news at geom.umn.edu)
>
> > When I tried to rotate this geom ... it does NOT rotate around its
> > center.  Actually it looks like it is rotating around the origin (the
> > center before the translation in the {INST ...} definition.
>
> This is happening because of geomview's default normalization of objects:
> they're scaled & translated to fit within a unit sphere centered on the
> origin.  Things should behave as you expect if you turn off normalization.
> Either select that on the "Obscure" panel, or type "0N" (zero capital-N)
> in a Geomview graphics window, or add the command
>
>     (normalization World none)
>
> to your ~/.geomview file.
>
>    Stuart
> state: closed

Thanks. But I tried what you said, but the object still rotates around
the origin of world.

Could you try out the following and see what happen?
	1. copy sphere.off to sphere1.off
	2. modified the transform in  sphere1.off
	   so that the sphere centers away from the world origin;
	   for ex: change T[3][0] of transform matrix to 10;

	3. lauched geomview with (normalization World none)
	4. load in sphere1.off
	5  select sphere1.off as ui-target and center
	6. rotate it.

Supposedly, it should rotates around its own axises, however, that is not
what I saw. Could you please check it? Maybe I did something wrong.

Thanks a lot for your help. I am working on a tight schedule on this,
your early response is greatly appreciated.

	Sincerely

	George Wu

	|		Guangxing George Wu			   |
        |	Department of Computer Science and Engineering	   |
	|	Office:		GWC 337    			   |
	|	Fax/modem/phone: ((555) 555-5555 (R)		   |
	|	Office phone:	 ((555) 555-5555 (O)		   |