Getting modules to integrate themselves into .geomview

  • To: software
  • Subject: Getting modules to integrate themselves into .geomview
  • From: slevy
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 92 01:33:52 CDT

OK, how about this.  A typical "make install" rule
(in src/bin/<module>/O.<machtype>/Makefile) currently looks something like:

	install:	install_bin

	install_bin:	someprog
		${INSTALL} ...

Let's make these look like this:

	install:	install_bin  install_module

	install_bin:
		... etc. just as before ...

	install_module:
		rm -f .geomview-someprog
		echo '(emodule-define "name" "command")' > .geomview-someprog
		${INSTALL} -O -v -F ${GEOM}/bin/${MACHTYPE} .geomview-someprog
		(cd ${GEOM}; tools/gather-modules)

[I've done this for eucsyms, trigrp, and graffiti.  I haven't done it for
nose, nor for any of the separately-distributed modules.]

This will take care of source distributions.  "tools/gather-modules"
scans the bin/${MACHTYPE} directory for .geomview* files, appends them to
data/.geomview-modules, and eliminates duplicates.  So we can just start
distributing .geomview files which include .geomview-modules rather than
defining everything internally.

For binary distributions, we package "bin/sgi/.geomview-someprog"
along with "bin/sgi/someprog" and tell people to run "tools/gather-modules"
after unpacking.